Thursday, July 3, 2008

These Shirts Suck

This evening, as I was strolling the aisles of my local Jewel picking up some bronze die pasta, a bottle of chardonnay and a jar of artichoke-garlic-pesto spread for the whole wheat French bread in my basket, I saw a woman waiting at the butcher's counter, wearing a T-shirt that said, among other things, "FUCK PATRIARCHY." Yeah, you tell 'em, sister.

Once I got in line, I noticed that the woman in front of me was wearing a shirt that said, on the back, "Simon Says Fuck You!" Nice, very nice. I suppose you're also making a, um, statement with your shirt? When I was finally able to get my stuff on the belt and moving, I looked to see whom the impatient person was who was reaching over my stuff to grab the little separator thingy so she could start putting her stuff on the line (even though there was less than a foot of so of space between where my stuff ended and the end of the belt, but hey, I guess she had things to do, places to go) and it was, can you believe, the "FUCK PATRIARCHY" gal. I was sandwiched between a couple potty mouth-T-shirt wearing morons! Lucky me!

How do I know these ladies (oh wait, is that a patriarchal term -- 'lady'? If it is, well, I don't care) are morons? Because they dress like morons. They are both adults, seemingly well into their 30s, but damn it, they've got to make a statement with their shirts, and they don't care if there are little kids around in the grocery store (I really believe they should have been thrown out -- it's not like you have a right to be in a grocery store if you wear shirts with curse words on them) or if they wind up looking like idiots. I know, I said only a few sentences ago, they were morons. Well, potentially they are both idiots and morons.

You know, there was a time when I would have worn a shirt that said "Fuck" on it (especially if it preceeded the word "Reagan") but then I turned 23 or 25 and realized if you don't also have the rage to accompany said shirt, you really just look kind of silly and trashy. 

Congratulations to these two women, though. You're both really sticking it to the man with your clothing choices. Either that or you're showing us that you refuse to age gracefully.

No comments: