Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Grammy How I Love Ya...
Yes, I know it's a week or so after the fact, but here are my notes on the Grammys. I didn't intend to blog about it, hell, I didn't even plan to watch it, but I started to watch after it had begun, and I was hooked. Not that it was great or notable awards presentation - it was infuriating at times -- I actually yelled at the TV a few times, for gross injustices like the absurd amount of awards that Robert Plant got (huh? what decade is this? Now I understand why rappers and others get so upset) but it was great TV. So here's what I thought at the time, written on the pink paper bag that my local card shop put my St. Valentine's Day cards in.
* My spine will tingle every time I think of Jennifer Hudson's performance tonight. Stunning. Classy. Brilliant. Strong.
* Coldplay dressed like rock stars.
* Adele won 'Best New Artist'! Yes! Take that, Jonas Bros.! Oh, she's so cute...
* I want the jacket Kanye West wore. But what was with his Ghostbusters hair?
* Samuel L. Jackson and Justin TImberlake are buddies?
* What was on Morgan Freeman's hand?
* Record of the Year? Robert Plant? What year? 1978? You gotta be freakin' kiddin' me.
* Is every performance going to be a duet? Or a superstar trio?
* Radiohead backed by the USC Marching Band? Cool.
* Of all the songs Sir Paul McCartney could sing -- "I Saw Her Standing There?"
* It was cool though to see McCartney cheering on and singing along from his seat for the Four Tops, or rather One Top, Smokey Robinson, Ne-Yo and Jamie Fox.
* Neil Diamond is a freakin' legend. Still, he had a ground-breaking, No. 1 album this past year, and he sings "Sweet Caroline"? Geez.
* Damn, a lot of great musicians died last year. Too bad they were each honored for like three seconds apiece, if that long.