Friday, February 8, 2008

Rediscovered, and it feels all new

Earlier this week I was surfing the mp3 blogs and found an entry on The Railway Children, a mid-late 80s English band. I downloaded the tracks to the one big hit album, "Reunion Wilderness," and finally, tonight,when I should already be sleeping, transferred the songs to my itunes library and began listening. 

I remember buying their album, on vinyl, probably atone of the import alternative record shops in Evanston where I also bought Generation X records and copies of Melody Maker and NME, when I was in college, and I remembered that I liked the band and their music, but I had no idea until I heard it again tonight of just how good their sound was. If you like the songs "Life in a Northern Town" and "Whisper to a Scream," which pretty much have a similar sound to the most laidback as well as most energetic songs of "The Railway Children," you may like this group. 

As far as the name goes, I'm not sure, but it may be inspired by the English film "The Railway Children." Here's what the wikipedia says (with my edits) about that movie:
"The story concerns a family who move to a house near the railway after the father is falsely accused of selling state secrets to the Russians, and imprisoned for five years. The three children amuse themselves by watching trains on the nearby railway line and waving to the passengers. They become friendly with the station porter, who is eventually able to help prove their father's innocence and the family is reunited."

The band released three albums before they broke up in 1994.


 

No comments: